Resolution on the Situation in Indonesia and East Timor
The Second World Congress of Education International, meeting in Washington D.C., U.S.A., from 25 to 29 July 1998:
1. Welcomes the recent changes in Indonesia as a step towards the full restoration of stability and democracy in Indonesia.
2. Welcomes the release of the trade union leader, Muchtar Pakpahan and other political prisoners, and moves to provide freedom of association.
3. Calls on the Indonesian Government to release all Indonesians and East Timorese who have been imprisoned solely for the peaceful expression of their beliefs.
4. Urges the Indonesian Government to implement reform needed to create political and economic stability in Indonesia, based on the full participation of the Indonesian people and respect for human rights.
5. Urges the Indonesian Government to support the call of the East Timorese people for independence.
6. Supports the Indonesian student movement’s call for an independent referendum of the East Timorese people on independence.
7. Calls upon EI to send a mission to Indonesia and East Timor to monitor the situation and to assess the human and trade unions rights of teachers in the context of an emerging democracy.